Sunday, September 30, 2018

Project 2: Albright Knox

A.)

Claude Monet 

Chemin de halage à Argenteuil (Towpath at Argenteuil, Winter), 1875-1876

oil on canvas
support: 23 5/8 x 39 3/8 inches (60.0075 x 100.0125 cm); framed: 32 1/2 x 48 1/4 x 4 inches (82.55 x 122.555 x 10.16 cm)
The texture and muted colors have a strong impact on me. It makes the painting look soft. The difference of the smooth water and the rough land is aesthetically appealing to me and has an interesting balance.
Vincent van Gogh

La maison de La Crau (The Old Mill), 1888

oil on canvas
support: 25 1/2 x 21 1/4 inches (64.77 x 53.975 cm); framed: 32 3/4 x 28 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches (83.18 x 73.02 x 8.89 cm)
I also love the texture of Gogh's painting. I feel like I can run my hand over the landscape and it would feel real even though it is not a realistic interpretation of a building. I like the use of the horizon; it gives the painting depth.
B.)
Salvador Dali

The Transparent Simulacrum of the Feigned Image, 1938

oil on canvas
support: 28 1/2 x 36 1/4 inches (72.39 x 92.075 cm); framed: 33 7/8 x 41 3/8 x 2 1/2 inches (86.04 x 105.09 x 6.35 cm)
I've always felt a connection with Surrealist artwork and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because of the detailed and realistic art that is not visible in our daily lives. Dali's beautiful detail with the folds in the fabric and the hidden face in the mountain demands to be seen. The dreamlike landscape just draws you in.
Roy Lichenstein

Head - Red and Yellow, 1962

oil on canvas
support: 48 x 48 inches (121.92 x 121.92 cm); framed: 49 1/8 x 49 1/8 x 2 1/4 inches (124.78 x 124.78 x 5.72 cm)
Lichenstein's pop art reminds me of my favorite stickers. I love the bold and solid quality of the painting's lines and it isn't until I'm up close that I notice the detailed dots that make up the shade of her face. I like comics and pop art which has become popular again. I have stickers that resemble Lichenstein's painting.
C.)
Georges Seurat

Étude pour "Le Chahut" (Study for "Le Chahut"), 1889

oil on canvas
support: 21 3/4 x 18 1/2 inches (55.24 x 46.99 cm); framed (artist frame): 26 5/8 x 23 x 1 inches (67.63 x 58.42 x 2.54 cm); frame: 30 7/8 x 27 3/8 x 2 7/8 inches (78.42 x 69.53 x 7.3 cm)
I find Seurat's painting to be very beautiful and I'm interested in the process of it's creation. It feels very soft to me. I'm curious about what went into creating the texture and movement of this work. The information provided by the gallery says that Seurat used a grid for the painting and even painted the frame. 
Camille Pissarro

Paysans dans les champs, Éragny (Peasants in the Fields, Éragny), 1890

oil on canvas
support: 25 3/8 x 31 5/8 inches (64.45 x 80.33 cm); framed: 34 1/8 x 40 5/8 x 4 1/2 inches (86.68 x 103.19 x 11.43 cm)
I love Pissarro's detail that creates texture. The soft horizon line between the mountain and the sky is almost the same color, yet they are distinct from each other. I'm interested in the process of creating such a detailed work.


7 comments:

  1. I liked your artwork choices here! You picked several pieces that really looked like you could touch the photo and feel the texture of the artwork. I definitely agree with you about the one piece looking like a sticker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that you chose Georges Seurat's Étude pour "Le Chahut" (Study for "Le Chahut"), 1889. This painting has been a favorite of mine for quite a while, and I am also curious about how it was created and what made him sneak the men into the chorus line, while omitting their legs! Very comical! I also liked you choice of Roy Lichenstein's Head - Red and Yellow, 1962. Pop art is just so much fun to look at, I'd even say you feel like a child while admiring it, which goes along with your comment of how you enjoy comics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above comment posted by WagnerArt314. Not sure why my name did not appear above!

      Delete
  3. Camile Pissaro's painting Paysans dans les champs, Éragny (Peasants in the Fields, Éragny), 1890 has been one of my favorite paintings at the Albright for sometime. The way the artist used pointillism to create his shadows shows extreme skill and control. Our eyes do all the work for the artist as the colors form together to make the shadows even though they are just laying next to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The selection of work you picked is quite varied. I similarly enjoy pop art for it's bold, and demanding look. Also a fan of Seurat's work, his innovative approach of pointillism appeared both tedious and beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Art is very subjective, you never know what will draw someone's eye to it. Your selection of art work was varied but had similar qualities to it. Each was very textured and detailed and within Vincent Van Gough's painting, and Claude Monet's you explained this and stated the textures and muted colors had a strong impact on you. I can agree, that these two qualities to a work can evoke strong emotions in an observer. For some it may seem comforting, and others can feel uneasy, down or sad with these two qualities. It all depends on how it is conveyed and how each of us interpret it. This offers a lesson on subjectivity of artwork. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete